Brief Church History
Calvary Baptist Church began in the fall of 1954 as a result of mission work. By 1955, the church had secured a regular meeting place, a one-room log cabin at 1815 Huxley. Initially, Temple Baptist Church in Salida sponsored this new church plant, but by 1958, Calvary Baptist had its very own leader, Pastor Bill Austin. Then, the next year the church voted to build a new building on fourth and Bronk St. The church continued to grow and develop, and by 1965, there were 100 attendees. Soon the church had outgrown their building; in 1973, the church building was sold, and work began on the current building. The current site was purchased because it already had a house, which could be used as a parsonage, and sufficient land for the new church. The subsequent years have brought many joys and struggles for Calvary Baptist Church, but through it all, the church has remained true to its purpose of fulfilling the commission of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as found in Matthew 28:19-20. Calvary Baptist Church of Monte Vista strives to preach the gospel, win the lost, and provide a place of worship.